Wednesday, September 25, 2013


Before we bought this house we made a lot of offers on other houses.

Two offers in a neighborhood near the Eno River, one offer near our favorite hiking trail on a FSBO and one offer on a short sale. Short sales are not short in time, as one might think. A short sale just means that the bank has agreed to take less than what they are owed. But as we have learned that means that the entire process is a bit of a wildcard and the bank might even want you to offer more than the asking price! Our new house is a foreclosure and although it has come with it's own set of challenges the timeline is moving along at a rapid place. We are grateful for that!

Because the house is a foreclosure it has been sitting vacant since about June. We've had a very cool, wet summer so that means that parts of the house are moldy. When you run your HVAC all summer it helps to keep air circulating and dry everything out. To add to the problem the kitchen also has a leak in the ceiling that's been "repaired" a few times. The cabinets below it are fuzzy and gross and a nearby ceiling fan has wilted.

The first order of business is to strip the kitchen. We're going to rip out the ugly cabinets, tear out some shelves and throw out the saggy fan. A roofer friend is going to isolate the leak and repair it. We're also going through the house and taking out all of the carpet and cleaning every surface from floor to ceiling to get rid of an invisible spores. SPORES!

After that it'll be time for a long, hot...oh can't use the water.

Yes, our new house does not have potable water.

When water sits it can collect bacteria, which is one reason why running water is generally the best for drinking. (DO NOT DRINK OUTSIDE WATER WITHOUT PURIFYING IT NO MATTER HOW "CLEAN" IT LOOKS. DON'T DO IT. OK, ONLY DO IT IF YOU'RE GONNA DIE OTHERWISE. /bossygeologist)

Well water is no exception and since ours has been sitting for months it has a lot of bacteria chilling in it right now. So we have to shock the well with chlorine to make it safe for drinking again. This is a pretty cheap DIY but it takes a lot of time. We got our instructions here. 

Basically we have to bleach the water, let it sit for a day, flush it, let it sit some more, test it, let the test sit for 48 hours and then pray a lot and hope it's fixed.

Luckily we'll still be able to shower at our old house through Monday and generous friends and family have offered the use of their showers. We've stockpiled water to get us through drinkingwise.

Here's our move in timeline:
Thursday- treat well
Friday- take everything out and demoldify, flush well, dry everything out
Saturday- put in new carpet
Sunday- move in our stuff...this seems like the easy part
Monday- appliances get delivered and we can test the well
Tuesday- profit 

I'm sure that this won't go as smoothly as it looks on the page but I will keep you updated with our progress. Friday is the day that I am the most worried about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment